This is the most important and popular stitch in knitting so it's a good idea to really get it down.
In our previous post we learned how to cast on to the needles. Now it's time to knit those stitches. Here's how it's done:
- Place the needle with the cast on stitches in your left hand. With the empty needle in your right hand, insert the needle into the first stitch.
- Wrap the yarn around the right hand needle counter clockwise, one time.
- With the right hand needle, move the needle back out of the stitch making sure you catch the new stitch you just created.
- Slide the old stitch off of the left needle.
- You have just completed your first knit stitch! Now continue working steps 1-4 across the row.
- When you have knitted all the stitches in row, place the knitting back into your left hand and repeat the process again.
Below is a very helpful video that shows how to create the knit stitch.